Like most websites Alcoholics Anonymous (GB) Ltd. uses cookies. In order to deliver a personalised, responsive service and to improve the site, we remember and store information about how you use it.
This is done using simple text files called cookies which sit on your computer. By using this site you are agreeing to this principle. Click here to remove this notice.

Home Contact Information Useful Links
0800 9177 650   
help@aamail.org

Call our National Helpline

FREE on

0800 9177 650
help@aamail.org
You are here > Home > Members > Regional & Local Websites > South East Region > West Kent Intergroup > GSR Aide-Memoire

GSR Aide-Memoire


AIDE-MEMOIRE FOR GSRs – from WKIG Assembly held on 24th November 2017
New GSRs please note:  The Aide-Memoire is sent out to you ahead of the minutes to enable you to give early feedback to your groups and take any necessary action as soon as possible.  It also gives you plenty of time to consult with your groups on anything that requires their feedback in readiness for the next intergroup assembly and to announce intergroup officer vacancies at regular intervals between assemblies.
1.Theme for 2018 West Kent Mini Convention – GSRs have been requested to ask their groups for suggestions for a theme for West Kent’s 2018 Mini Convention to be held in June and bring responses back to the January intergroup assembly.

2.Amendments to the WKIG Aims & Structures – As it is a requirement that groups will be informed at least 4 weeks before any changes are made to the West Kent Aims & Structures, GSRs please tell your groups that at this AGM & Conscience Assembly of the intergroup, several changes were proposed, discussed and agreed.  These changes will be ratified at the next intergroup assembly in January 2018. 

3.Decision re: proposed change of format to the upcoming 2018 Regional Workshops – GSRs please thank your groups for their thoughts on this proposed change to the January 2018 Regional Workshop – that it be changed on a one-off trial basis as an early Pre-Conference Discussion of the 2018 Questions for Conference for GSRs and other interested members at Burgess Hill, East Sussex.  Please inform your groups that this suggestion was discussed and the groups’ responses taken into consideration at the Regional assembly on Sunday 19th November.  Subsequently, the vote was split 51% in favour and 49% against.  Alan T, Regional Chair, told assembly that Concept 4 says that a reasonable proportion of any AA vote should represent a change, which it didn’t in this case, therefore the January Workshops will not be changed and the status quo will prevail.  In West Kent’s case this is, that we will continue as usual, with the individual groups discussing the Conference Questions and the GSRs bringing their groups responses to our Pre-Conference Assembly on Friday 16th February 2018.  Conference Delegates will be in attendance, listen to and take note of those responses and subsequently take them to Conference in April.

4.Intergroup Officer Vacancies - GSRs to please announce the vacancies below regularly before the January assembly and encourage group members to visit the next intergroup with you, in an effort to get more people into service at this level.  Please point out that new officers will be sponsored into these positions and supported by other intergroup members and the relevant Regional Officers.

1.VICE CHAIR – Interested members are welcome to speak to Barbara K, Chair, to find out more about this post –john.barb34@gmail.com 

2.PUBLIC INFORMATION LIAISON OFFICER – Contact outgoing PI LO Darren F, for details –frewind@hotmail.com 

3.PRISON LIAISON OFFICER – Contact outgoing PLO, Dave K, to find out more about this post –davidking4812@gmail.com 

4.ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS LIAISON OFFICER – Contact Phil S, outgoing ECLO, for details –philscott1@outlook.com 

5.ARCHIVIST – Please contact Regional Archivist to find out more about this position – Nick H –nickyello83@gmail.com 

6.ARMED SERVICES LIAISON OFFICER – Please contact Regional Armed Services LO, for more details – danielfathers@yahoo.ca 

7.EMPLOYMENT LIAISON OFFICER - Sue D, Regional Employment Liaison Officer, will be attending the January West Kent Intergroup Assembly in January to speak about this role and answer any related questions, but meanwhile, she will be happy to be contacted for more details – Tel: susansdaniels@aol.com  

5.Twelve Step Lists – Dermot G, Telephone Liaison Officer, handed out pre-printed sheets at the assembly for GSRs to take away and get group members who are willing to be put on the lists to fill in their name, ‘phone number/s, availability and home group, which he would then like to be sent back to him, as it is crucial to the telephone helpline service to keep these lists updated.  If you weren’t at the meeting and would like Dermot to send you one of the forms to update your group’s list, his contact details are: dermot.geelan@gmail.com  .  His postal address can be found on the bottom of the form if you wish to post it back to him. 

6.Christmas and New Year changes to meetings – Groups to please forward any Christmas or New Year changes to meetings to Phil S, Electronic Communications Liaison Officer, as soon as possible so that he can put them on the West Kent website –philscott1@outlook.com 

7.PI Initiative – PI Clinic Trials – The first event took place recently at the Chatham Tuesday evening meeting which went very well.  So far there are 4 other meetings actively engaging in arranging these smaller events before their normal meetings, inviting local professionals to drop in and offering them the chance to attend an open meeting after the PI event.  Darren F, PI Liaison Officer, has asked GSRs to please consult the conscience of their meetings and contact him if they are interested in participating in this initiative or simply to ask any other questions.  Please also see his report which was sent out with the November Intergroup Assembly agenda for a list of points to assist GSRs in answering questions from their groups about these events.  Alternatively, his report will be included in the minutes of this intergroup assembly when you receive them sometime in the next couple of weeks-  frewind@hotmail.com 


 







AIDE-MEMOIRE FOR GSRs – 29th September 2017

New GSRs please note:  The Aide-Memoire is sent out to you ahead of the minutes to enable you to give early feedback to your groups and take any necessary action as soon as possible.  It also gives you plenty of time to consult with your groups on anything that requires their feedback in readiness for the next intergroup assembly and to announce intergroup officer vacancies. 

•There’s a lot to get through on this Aide-Memoire so please start dealing with items early to get it covered by the November intergroup assembly.

1.The 2017 Magical History Tour 

Is this coming Saturday, 7th october!!!

This interesting all-day event is being held this coming Saturday 7th October 2017 from 10am – 5pm.  It is being held at the Aylesford Community Centre, 25 Forstal Road, Aylesford, Kent ME20 7AU.  This promises to be an opportunity to enjoy a day of fellowship celebrating the history of Alcoholics Anonymous!  Registration will be 5.  GSRs are asked to distribute the flyers if you have not already done so and display them at your group meetings.  The agenda and a list of raffle prizes have also been sent out to you with this Aide-Memoire.  A lot of people are travelling long distances and have worked hard to put on this event, so GSRs please encourage group members to come along and give their support.

2.Update re: Big Books in other languages
Following feedback from the groups, John G, Share/Literature Liaison Officer, will endeavour to source Big Books in the following languages.  He will then hold a stock of those most requested which will then be sold on demand at cost price to the individual groups.  The most requested was Polish, followed by Lithuanian, followed by the following in no particular order – Punjabi; Romanian; Gujarati; Russian; Nepalese; Spanish; Arabic; Mandarin. 

3.Any changes to the West Kent ‘Where To Find’
Tony M will be doing the next printing of the West Kent ‘Where To Find’ a week or so before the next intergroup assembly on 24th November.  Please can groups inform him of any changes to your details.  Tel:  tonymould1@sky.com 

4.Chit System
Tony M, Probation Liaison Officer, informed GSRs that there are 11 out of 43 groups in West Kent who are currently not partaking in the Chit System.  Please contact Tony M if your group would like to join or simply find out more about the Chit System eg: What it’s for?  What do you have to do to join it?   How do you go about issuing chits to members who require proof of attendance at a meeting? - He will be happy to answer your questions.  His contact details can be found above.

5.National Logo Competition
There is a National Logo Competition to design a Logo for the AA’s GB 75th Diamond Anniversary Convention being held in 2022.  The competition is open to all members and the closing date is 31st December 2017.  To encourage all to enter, there are no specifications for the Logo.  The design will be used for all materials associated with the Convention.  Please look at other National Convention Flyers etc., to get some ideas.  The design does not have to be professional – That sort of thing can be looked at after the best idea/design has been chosen.  
Entries to: 75yearssubcom@aamail.org  Visit the website to find out more - www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/Members/75th-anniversary 
6.Current Intergroup Officer Vacancies:

VICE CHAIR – Interested members are welcome to speak to the Chair, Barbara K, to find out more about this post – Tel:   john.barb34@gmail.com  

ARMED SERVICES LIAISON OFFICER   )  
EMPLOYMENT LIAISON OFFICER          ) 
ARCHIVIST                                                   ) 
To speak to somebody about the above positions you can contact the Regional Liaison Officers who will be happy to speak with you and will be able to advise you if you are elected, as there is no current intergroup officer to sponsor you in but they will help you find your feet.

Armed Services – Daniel F – Tel:  danielfathers@yahoo.ca
Employment – Sue D – Tel:  susansdaniels@aol.com 
Archivist – Nick H –  nickyello83@gmail.com 

3RD REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE – You can contact the outgoing Region Rep (Shirley S – contact details below) or one of the other 2 Reps if you would like to find out more about this post Lynden S Tel:  Lynden.Stanley@hotmail.co.uk  Brian Y Tel:   briancyoung65@gmail.com 

Upcoming vacancies in January 2018 

The Officers for the service positions below rotate out in January 2018 and the intergroup would like to elect their replacements at the next assembly on 24th November so that the outgoing Officers can sponsor their successors in.  Interested members are welcome to contact the current officers direct to find out more about the posts – Each Liaison Officer’s contact details are given next to the particular vacancy.

PUBLIC INFORMATION LIAISON OFFICER – Darren F – Tel:   frewind@hotmail.com  
PRISON LIAISON OFFICER – Dave K – Tel:  davidking4812@gmail.com 
ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS LIAISON OFFICER – Phil S – Tel:  philscott1@outlook.com 

Nominations are now being accepted for all the above vacancies.  Details for each post can be found in the AA Service Handbook for GB and will also be circulated with the September minutes.  Please send nominations to Shirley S (Secretary) Tel: 
shirleysage@hotmail.co.uk or you can be nominated on the evening of the next assembly.

•Please encourage members of your group to accompany you to the next intergroup assembly in November to see what it’s all about.
  
7.12th Step Lists
Dermot G, Telephone Liaison Officer, urged all those GSRs who haven’t already done so, to compile a list of members in your group who are eligible and willing to go on the 12th Step List.   Helpline Responders are having a lot of difficulty in finding members on the current lists that are actually available and willing to make the 12th Step call.  Please send your updated lists to Dermot G – Tel: 

8.West Kent’s 2018 Public Information Initiatives
The PI Sub-Committee are busy preparing for 2 PI Initiatives for professionals this year.

1.Initiative 1- Public Information Seminar
This event which was due to be held on Friday 17th November in Tonbridge for AA Awareness Month has been cancelled due to the uptake of groups wishing to run PI Clinics around the November time frame.  The cancellation has not incurred any cost for WKIG. 

2.Initiative 2 – Alcoholics Anonymous Public Information Clinic
Darren F would like to thank those groups who have contacted him with an interest in trialling this initiative.  There are now 5 meetings actively engaged in arranging smaller PI events before their normal meetings inviting local professionals to drop in and offer them the chance to attend an open AA meeting after the PI event.

GSRs please consult the conscience of your meetings and contact Darren F if your group is interested in participating in this initiative in early 2018. 
Questions from the group’s members:
•We would ask for the meeting’s help in contacting the property owner to arrange the venue.
•The PI Sub-Committee will cover the cost of the additional venue rent.
Points to assist GSRs in answering 
•The cost of the additional venue rent.
•The PISC will fund the professional with the relevant AA lecture and information materials out of the PISC budget - no cost will be born directly by the individual meeting.
•Your meeting would have to be an ’Open’ meeting on that day/evening.
•Members of the meeting will be able to participate in the PI event, but numbers will be strictly limited and service positions are allocated by the PISC.
•Meetings have every right not to participate in line with Tradition 4.
•Meetings may run their own PI events in line with Tradition 4.
If you or your group have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me.  
•Invitations – copies of the invitation to the professional were sent out with the July 2017 minutes giving more details about the PI clinics.  Any groups requiring more invitations to be issued please contact Darren R (contact details below). 
Darren F
frewind@hotmail.com  Tel: 
9.2018 West Kent Mini Convention
•Following feedback from the groups on the suggestion that we have some kind of Sobriety Countdown at West Kent’s next Mini Convention, a vote was taken and it was carried with a majority to do so.  It was suggested by the member with the longest sobriety hands a signed copy of the copy of the Big Book to the newest member present.

•Unfortunately, the hall was not available on the provisional date issued in July for the 2018 West Kent Mini Convention which was to be Sunday 3rd June.  Instead it has been booked for SATURDAY 2nd June 2018   

Please note the change to the day of the week as in the past it has always been held on a Sunday.  
10.Requests from Intergroup Treasurer to all Group Treasurers
•GSRs please inform your group Treasurers to send in any outstanding Gratitude Week contributions asap as Stewart N, Intergroup Treasurer, is soon sending off a cheque to GSO.
•GSRs please inform your group Treasurers that if they are making a cash contribution to intergroup they need to let Stewart N know by text, email or send a short note via the post.  Stewart N – Tel:  tmsltd15@gmail.com  31 Brewers Field, Dartford, Kent DA2

11.Share Magazine
John G, Share/Literature Liaison Officer, is encouraging groups to contribute items for inclusion in the AA Share Magazine.  He also made a suggestion that groups who have any old copies of ‘Share’ could think about giving them out to newcomers when they give them a local ‘Where To Find’.  Another suggestion was that the Prisons are also in need of old copies of ‘Share’ which can be also be done, provided that people remember to remove the centre pages which lists members personal details.   John G – Share LO info@treeventures.co.uk  Tel:   Dave K – Prison LO davidking4812@gmail.com 

12.Kenward Trust
Andy H, Health Liaison Officer, is appealing to members to assist him with running the ongoing monthly meetings at the Kenward Trust in Yalding. 
Andy is looking for the following:- 

•A new group Secretary to run the monthly meeting
This must be a male member.  Anybody who can fill this service position will be welcomed.  Meetings start at 7,30pm and close at 9pm.  You will definitely need a car to get their or get someone to give you a lift.
•Male members to do chairs at the Trust in Yalding.  These are only held once a month.  Remaining dates for this year are: 2th October, 9th November and 7th December.  Meetings start at 19.30 and finish at 21.00hrs.  Anyone willing to assist please contact Andy H – ahba19841@blueyonder.co.uk  Tel: . 

13.Groups feedback on the suggestion that the format at 2018 Regional January Regional Workshops be changed to a Pre-Conference Discussion
Background:  Alan T, Regional Chair, has suggested that the format of the January 2018 Regional Workshops be changed.  He has suggested that GSRs and any other interested group members are invited to attend a Pre-Conference Questions Discussion.
Aim:  That this early discussion would help everybody present to get a better understanding of the Conference Questions before GSRs head up their own group discussions.  

            Originally, GSRs were requested to consult with their groups regarding the above suggestion and relay responses back to the Regional Reps in time for the September Regional Assembly. However, this matter is not actually being discussed at Region until the November assembly, which means that GSRs have until early November to consult with groups and send in their responses to the Region Reps.  

To-date, only 6 groups out of a total of 43 in our West Kent intergroup have actually sent in any responses.  This is quite disappointing, but hopefully this additional time allows those GSRs who haven’t yet responded plenty of time to put this suggestion to their groups and send in their responses to the Region Reps.  

GSRs, please make the effort, this idea could be really helpful when going through the Questions of Conference with your groups.  Region Reps contact details are:  Brian Y – briancyoung65@gmail.com  Tel: .  Lynden S – Lynden.Stanley@hotmail.co.uk  Tel:  
14.Prison Chairs
Dave K, Prison Liaison Officer, has asked GSRs to tell group members that he is looking for members, both male and female, to accompany him into prison and do a chair.  You will never be left on your own and it’s very safe – the inmates are always very grateful that we have taken time out of our busy lives to bother to go in to share our experience, strength and hope with them.  Please contact Dave K on Tel:  davidking4812@gmail.com 

15.Disabled access
Mark H, GSR Ditton, asks groups to continue to keep the problem of ‘disabled access’ to the forefront of their minds.  He has been encouraged to see that some meetings have adjusted their entry in the ‘Where To Find’ and have made sure that they list whether or not they have disabled toilet facilities as well as a ramp and have done their best to make their meetings accessible.  However, some disabled members are still experiencing problems.  Please try your best to keep your ‘Where To Find’ entries accurate and for those who haven’t yet done so, consider whether it might be possible to make your meetings more accessible.

16.AA Service News
Some groups are still not receiving copies of the AA Service News which means that they are missing out because it contains a lot of interesting and helpful information for members both old and new.  GSO sends out three copies to the mailing contact for each group 4 times a year.  GSRs please check whether your group is in receipt of this free publication and if it isn’t, contact GSO and check who they have recorded as the “mail contact on your group’s PINK SHEET and if necessary, update it. Tel:  aanews@alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk  













WEST KENT INTERGROUP ASSEMBLY 14th JuLY 2017
AIDE-MEMOIRE FOR GSRs


AIDE-MEMOIRE FOR GSRs – 14th July 2017

GSRs please note that the Aide-Memoire is sent out to you ahead of the minutes to enable you to give early feedback to your groups and take any necessary action as soon as possible.  It also gives you plenty of time to consult with your groups on anything that requires their feedback in readiness for the next intergroup assembly and to announce intergroup officer vacancies. 

1.CURRENT VACANCIES:
 
ARMED SERVICES LIAISON OFFICER
EMPLOYMENT LIAISON OFFICER
ARCHIVIST
3RD REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE

Nominations are now being accepted for the above vacancies.  Details for each post can be found in the AA Service Handbook for GB and will also be circulated with the July minutes.  Anyone interested please contact Shirley S.  Tel: 01634-313688/07894726903   shirleysage@hotmail.co.uk  

UPCOMING VACANCIES IN JANUARY 2018

ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS LIAISON OFFICER
PRISON LIAISON OFFICER
PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS LIAISON OFFICER

•Please encourage members of your group to accompany you to the next intergroup assembly in September to see what it’s all about.  
1.2018 West Kent Mini Convention 
(i)Provisional date for your diaries – Sunday 3rd June.
(ii)Dawn B, Convention Convenor, suggested that we have some kind of Sobriety Countdown at West Kent’s next Mini Convention in 2018.  GSRs please consult with your groups about this possibility and bring their opinions/suggestions back to the next intergroup assembly in September.

2.The 2017 Magical History Tour – Graham H, Chair, told the assembly that the arrangements are all on track for this all-day event which is being held on Saturday 7th October 2018 at Aylesford Community Centre, 25 Forstal Road, Aylesford, Kent ME20 7AU.  Flyers, giving precise times and other details, were circulated at the intergroup meeting on 14th July, which GSRs are asked to display at their group meetings.  If you require more flyers please contact either Tony M Tonymould1@sky.com Tel: or Marston P mgp@blueyonder.co.uk Tel:.  This promises to be a very interesting event.  Please come along and give your support.

3.West Kent’s 2018 Public Information Initiatives
The PI Sub-Committee are busy preparing for 2 PI Initiatives for professionals this year.
1.Initiative 1- Public Information Seminar
The confirmed date for this event is Friday 17th November and will be held at Change Grow Live in Tonbridge. 
2.Initiative 2 – Alcoholics Anonymous Public Information Clinic
Darren F would like to thank those groups who have contacted him with an interest in trialling this initiative.  There are now two meetings actively engaged in arranging smaller PI events before their normal meetings inviting local professionals to drop in and offer them the chance to attend an open AA meeting after the PI event.
•GSRs please consult the conscience of your meetings and contact Darren F if your group is interested in participating in this initiative. 
Points to assist GSRs in answering questions from the group’s members:
•We would ask for the meeting’s help in contacting the property owner to arrange the venue.
•The PI Sub-Committee will cover the cost of the additional venue rent.
•The PISC will fund the professional with the relevant AA lecture and information materials out of the PISC budget - no cost will be born directly by the individual meeting.
•Your meeting would have to be an ’Open’ meeting on that day/evening.
•Members of the meeting will be able to participate in the PI event, but numbers will be strictly limited and service positions are allocated by the PISC.
•Meetings have every right not to participate in line with Tradition 4.
•Meetings may run their own PI events in line with Tradition 4.
If you or your group have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me.  
•Invitations – a copy of the invitation to the professional will be sent out with the minutes giving more details about the PI clinics. 
Darren F
frewind@hotmail.com  Tel: 

4.Unallocated cheques
•Stewart N, Treasurer, has asked GSRs to please pass a copy of his report to their group Treasurer so that they can confirm that intergroup has received their groups’ contributions.  There are currently 5 unallocated cheques.  (There will be a copy of Stewart N’s report sent out with the minutes for those GSRs who were not in attendance at the assembly on 14th July).
•GSRs also please inform your group Treasurer that if they have made cash contributions they need to send Stewart N either the paying-in slip or a short note by post or email.  (His full contact details can be found at the bottom of his report).

5.Big Books in other languages
Ryan F, GSR Gravesend Tuesday, informed the intergroup that his meeting has had a number of requests for big books in Asian languages, specifically Punjabi and Gujarati.  Graham H, Chair, proposed that John G, Share/Literature Liaison Officer, sources some foreign language Big Books and holds a stock of those most requested by the individual groups which can then be sold on demand at cost price to the individual group.  The proposal was unanimously carried.  

•GSRs are asked to consult with their groups as to what other languages they might wish to be held in the stock pile and to bring those suggestions along to the next intergroup assembly in September.

6.Two week change of venue for Newington meeting
The village hall in Newington will be closed for renovation on 9th and 16th August and the Wednesday evening Newington group will be held at the Sittingbourne venue (The Pulse, 29 Park Road, Sittingbourne ME10 1DR, at the usual time (19.45-21.15hrs).




7.a) Share Magazine
John G, Share/Literature Liaison Officer, is encouraging groups to subscribe to the AA Share Magazine.  He has issued an article explaining what the Share magazine is all about and a subscription form, copies of which were sent out with the July intergroup agenda and will also be sent out with the minutes.  John G will be happy to come along to any group meeting in West Kent to briefly talk about the advantages in subscribing to the magazine.  info@treeventures.co.uk  Tel: 

b)  Polish helpline cards
John G, Share LO, has obtained some Polish speaking helpline cards.  To obtain them please contact him. (See above for contact details)

8.Male Chair’s required for Kenward Trust meetings
Andy H, Health Liaison Officer, is looking for male members who are willing to do a chair at Kenward Trust in Yalding.  Dates required are: 20th July, 17th August, 14th September, 12th October, 9th November and 7th December.  Meetings start at 19.30 and finish at 21.00hrs.  Anyone willing to assist please contact Andy H –  ahba19841@blueyonder.co.uk  Tel:.    

9.Chit System
Tony M, Probation Liaison Officer, has issued a list of groups operating the Chit System and those groups who currently don’t.  The list will be in the minutes as usual.  The groups in red are asked if they wish to join the Chit System or stay outside of it.  Any group wishing to join please contact Tony M – Tonymould1@sky.com  Tel:.  Copies of chits for printing were sent out with the July agenda and will also be attached with the minutes. 

10.January Regional Workshops
The South-East Regional Workshops are held in Burgess Hill, West Sussex, RH15 9YQ twice a   year in January and September and are usually attended by Regional and Intergroup Officers and any AA members who wish to go along to see what it’s all about.  The usual format is where those present break into their various disciplines or visitors to their discipline of interest and share experience, flag up any problems, exchange ideas etc.  At the last Regional Assembly in June, Alan T, Regional Chair, suggested that the format of the January 2018 Workshops is changed to an early Pre-Conference Discussion where GSRs and other interested group members also come along to get a better understanding of what the 2018 Conference Questions are about before they hold their group discussions in readiness for Pre-Conference feedback to the Conference Delegates.  GSRs are asked to get their groups’ thoughts regarding this idea and relay them back to the Regional Reps in time for the next Regional Assembly on 24th September so that they can take the groups’ responses along.  Contact details of Regional Reps are below:-

Shirley S – shirleysage@hotmail.co.uk  Tel: 
Brian Y – briancyoung65@gmail.com  Tel: 
Lynden S – Lynden.Stanley@hotmail.co.uk  Tel: