There are an estimated 4,661 AA meetings in Great Britain and 723 groups in Continental Europe.
Made up from:
Of all the estimated meetings in Great Britain we had contact details for 2745 meetings (2415 for England and Wales and 330 for Scotland) and 341 for the Continental Europe. However, of the above,
- 905 AA Meetings in England and Wales responded to the 2020 survey
- 130 AA Meetings in Scotland responded to the 2020 survey
- 50 AA Meetings in CER responded to the 2020 survey
All meetings take place weekly
There are 723 English Speaking Groups in Continental Europe
The ratio of male: female membership is 53.3/46.3. A small number of survey respondents (0.4%) listed ‘other’ as their response to the gender question.
Our figures suggested that members viewed regular attendance at meetings, working the 12 Steps, acceptance having a sponsor, helping others and service, having a higher power as well as having a home group as important to maintain sobriety
Our membership is estimated at between 23000 and 25490 in Great Britain and 1720 to 3260 in the Continental Europe
Extrapolating from the average weekly attendance estimates there are over 4.24 million individual attendances at AA meetings per annum in GB and over 400000 attendances in the Continental Europe per annum
- 75% of members stated they have been sober at least 2 years
- 10% of members stated they have been sober for less than 6 months
- 33% of members with less than 5 years' sobriety are under 40 years of age.
There is a strong correlation between length of membership and length of sobriety:
- 99% of those with longer than 10 years of membership had more than 10 years of sobriety
- 75% of those with up 10 years of membership had up to 10 years of sobriety
- 51% of those with up to 2 years of membership had up to 2 years of sobriety
- 36% of those with between 7 and 12 of months of membership had 7 and 12 of months of sobriety
- 33% of those with up to 6 months of membership had up to 6 months of sobriety
*all figures from the 2020 Membership Survey