There have been considerable changes during the last few years to the service we offer.
- 1990 - Talk of introducing a national non-geographic 0345 number.
- 1992 - Conference approved a feasibility study for such a number.
- 1994 - the 0345 system ran on a trial basis for four years â€“ initially in the Sth East and eventually the Scottish regions took part.
- After progress reports to Conference, more regions expressed interest in joining a national telephone service.
- 1997 - the National Telephone Sub-committee (NTSC) was formed to oversee and co-ordinate the expansion of this service.
- 1998 - the 0345 number was adopted nationally. This was eventually replaced by the 0845 number.
By the year 2000, most regions were using this national number.
- 2014 - 2015 The NTSC have been reviewing the 0845 non geographic number used by Alcoholics Anonymous to operate our national telephone service. Conference 2015 will be asked to vote upon the viability of changing to a free 0800 number.
- 2015 - Conference voted to adopt the free 0800 number.
- On 1st July, 2015 the 0800 9177 650 number became live