A Year Like No Other
FELLOWSHIP-WIDE SURVEYS CLOSING SOON
2020 was the year of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). A year of coping with a pandemic that has tested our ability to maintain our own recovery and carry the message. It was also the year of the 2020 Groups’ and Members’ Surveys. Because of the (newest) challenges of coping with the pandemic, we are extending the deadlines for both surveys to 24 JAN 2021.
MEMBERSHIP SURVEY UPDATE
The individual Members’ Survey (Phase 2) began on December 7th with GSO emailing 3080 groups (registered with York) a batch of unique passcodes for their members.
To date, 1250 members from 250 groups have completed the online Member Survey. For comparison sake, the last survey done in 2015, attracted 2200 completed questionnaires when done exclusively through members’ home groups using paper, pen and the Royal Mail.
If each secretary/contact of a group that hasn’t yet returned any completed questionnaires from members could persuade just one member to participate, we’d be really close to matching 2015’s total. If they could get just two members to take part, we'd blow past the previous total, proving beyond a doubt that AA’s can overcome the obstacles of a pandemic or whatever else life puts in our path.
GROUP SURVEY UPDATE
The Group Survey (Phase 1) as of 01 January 2021, has been completed by 964 groups in GB and Continental European Regions. But considering 3080 groups were emailed invitations, the 31% participation rate is less than any previous survey going all the way back to 1972 (the 2015 Survey for example, had 42% response rate).
STRENGTH (OR FATIGUE?)
The low response rates may be another consequence of the pandemic - because the current surveys are being carried out almost exclusively online. It might be a communication problem or out of date group contact email addresses or something else?
We want to know.
MEMBERS’ SURVEY LINK AND PASSWORD
Access the Member Survey by clicking or copy/paste this link into your browser:
Enter one of the unique passwords that Chris N. from GSO emailed to your group’s contact. New/additional passwords upon request: phone +44 1904 644026 or email email@example.com.
GROUPS’ SURVEY LINK AND PASSWORD
Access the Group Survey by clicking or copy/paste this link into your browser:
Enter the unique group password which was emailed to your Group in November. But If you didn’t receive one or are among the 2000 groups which have no email contact registered with York, you’ll need to ask GSO by phone +44 1904 644026 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to send you a password. Be sure to mention which group you represent when emailing.
CLOSING IN 2 WEEKS
If you haven’t done so yet, we urge every member of AA, newly sober or celebrating multiple anniversaries, to complete the online membership survey by 24 Jan. 2021.
LET’S MAKE OUR RESPONSE TO THE FELLOWSHIP-WIDE SURVEY AN EXAMPLE OF OUR WILLINGNESS TO TAKE ACTION AND ENSURE THE HAND OF AA WILL ALWAYS BE THERE
Uncertainty may be the new normal, but we are certain that with your participation the 2020 Survey results will:
- Help all members in their personal recovery.
- Give our trusted servants key data to make sound decisions for the future of AA.
- Provide professionals a better understanding of our Fellowship and the solution we offer.
WHENEVER ANYONE, ANYWHERE REACHES OUT FOR HELP, I WANT THE HAND OF AA ALWAYS TO BE THERE, AND FOR THAT, I AM RESPONSIBLE
The General Service Board (GSB) of AA GB has conducted a survey of the Fellowship every five years since 1972 in order to:
- Fulfill our Primary Purpose in the most effective ways.
- Be aware of and recognize the changing characteristics of the membership.
- Estimate membership numbers.
- Inform members, Conference and GSB regarding the best use of resources.
- Communicate survey results with outside professionals and the Fellowship.
- We urge all Groups to participate in the Group Survey, regardless if you are registered with GSO or received an email invitation.
- We urge all Members to participate in the Members’ Survey; 10 minutes of service can make a real difference.
- Need more passwords? phone GSO +44 1904 644026 or email email@example.com.
- Service keeps us sober, so please encourage fellow members at meetings you attend to participate in AA’s Fellowship-wide 2020 Member Survey before it closes on 24 Jan. 2021.